Anti-Cuts Election Pledge – to be sent to all council candidates ahead of elections in North Devon and Torridge in May 2011. If you would like to sign the pledge please contact us at devonanticuts [at] gmail.com
If elected as a councillor, I pledge to:
Oppose by all possible means, all cuts to council jobs and services – rejecting the claim that ‘some cuts’ are necessary to our services.
This will include:
• Rejecting above inflation increases in council tax, rent and service charges to compensate for government cuts.
• Voting against the privatisation or outsourcing of council services
• Campaigning to use all the legal powers available to councils, to oppose both the cuts and government policies which impose the transfer of public services to private bodies.
• Campaigning for councils to initially use reserves and prudential borrowing powers to avoid passing on cuts, and to help mobilise a mass campaign locally to defeat the cuts and set a budget that meets the needs of the local community, demanding that the government makes up the shortfall.
• Make strenuous efforts to link local authorities who are willing to fight together to oppose the cuts.
Candidates who have signed the pledge so far:
Bideford East –
Gaston Dezart (United Kingdom Independence Party)
Three Moors –
Colin Jones (Green Party)
North Devon District
Bickington and Roundswell –
Rodney Sheridan Cann (Independent)
Bratton Fleming –
Ian Godfrey (Green Party)
Braunton West –
Elizabeth Wood (Green Party)
Central Town (Barnstaple) –
Gerrard Anthony Sables (Communist Party of Britain)
Forches and Whiddon Valley (Barnstaple) –
Douglas Charles Lowe (Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition)
Joanne Bell (Independent)
James Bell (Independent) – Parish Council only
Ricky Knight (Green Party)
Yeo Valley –
Paul Charles Dyer (Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition)